WFracing.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WFracing.net

A forum for the Wichita Falls Racers to Unite!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

To replace the bearing on my car myself, or not...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
06Goat
Noob
Noob

To replace the bearing on my car myself, or not... Empty
PostSubject: To replace the bearing on my car myself, or not...   To replace the bearing on my car myself, or not... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 3:11 am

Looking at buying these wheel bearings for my GTO. I'm still in the air about whether to replace them myself or have an alignment shop do it.. Wanted to hear people's thoughts if anyone has ever dealt with bearings before.. I know you have to remove the axle nut, remove the rotor, etc.. Also, the hub & bearing on mine is a single, sealed piece.
Back to top Go down
corvette8189
Admin
Admin
corvette8189

PostSubject: Re: To replace the bearing on my car myself, or not...   To replace the bearing on my car myself, or not... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 1:46 pm

do it yourself, hell bring it over and ill give u a hand
Back to top Go down
06Goat
Noob
Noob

PostSubject: Re: To replace the bearing on my car myself, or not...   To replace the bearing on my car myself, or not... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 2:14 pm

Cool. I looked at some instructional videos that make it look pretty easy.. With an impact gun, haha.. I'll have to buy either a 33mm or a 34mm socket, I don't have anything that large.. I have $12 in the bank right now so I'm waiting for friday to roll around. I'll probably buy it with this week's paycheck.. Been debating on which ones to buy but I guess the ones for $122 will be alright to use.. Timken's are right around $300 so..
Back to top Go down
Slow MR2
Noob
Noob

PostSubject: Re: To replace the bearing on my car myself, or not...   To replace the bearing on my car myself, or not... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 9:57 pm

Better bearing > cheap bearing. More rolling resistance = slower acceleration, less mpg, etc etc. You will also want it aligned after you replace them. 2 new tires will cost more than what you would save by not aligning it.
Back to top Go down
dsmgonzo
dsmgonzo

PostSubject: Re: To replace the bearing on my car myself, or not...   To replace the bearing on my car myself, or not... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 1:06 am

Hey Aaron, shoot me a text and I can see what kind of deal I can get you.
Back to top Go down
06Goat
Noob
Noob

PostSubject: Re: To replace the bearing on my car myself, or not...   To replace the bearing on my car myself, or not... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 2:16 pm

Slow MR2 wrote:
Better bearing > cheap bearing. More rolling resistance = slower acceleration, less mpg, etc etc. You will also want it aligned after you replace them. 2 new tires will cost more than what you would save by not aligning it.

Why would replacing the bearing cause alignment issues?? As long as the bearing and rotor are flushly mounted, it won't cause wobble? There is no need to disconnect or adjust the tie rods or anything. I'll stop by that shop sometime and ask them if it has to be redone for sure, they've been really good about telling me how to do things properly on a wide range of topics to save myself money.

@Aaron - sent.

*Edit - I guess it could be necessary IF the bearing were so badly worn that it had play in it at the time of the last alignment. But it isn't that bad yet, it's only causing noise and vibration at higher speeds, they did tell me once it starts doing it at ~<45mph then it's really time to replace it. Not sure. I need to jack it up and physically check the play.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To replace the bearing on my car myself, or not...   To replace the bearing on my car myself, or not... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To replace the bearing on my car myself, or not...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WFracing.net :: Tech Area/Modifications :: Wheels/Suspenion/Brakes-
Jump to: